In Ohio, a parent interested in educating his/her child at home may request that the child be excused from compulsory school attendance for home education purposes.
Home Education is educational delivery that is directed by the parent or guardian of a child who has been excused from attending school. Under this option, the parent/guardian selects the curriculum and educational materials and takes responsibility for educating the child. There is no state financial assistance for families who choose this option.
The Educational Service Center of Lorain County accepts notification of home schooling for six districts in Lorain County. If your district of residence is Avon, Clearview, Columbia, Firelands, Keystone or Midview, home schooling paperwork is filed through the Educational Service Center. A notification form is provided below for your convenience.
If you live in one of the eight other districts in Lorain County, please contact your board office for information.
- Home education is recognized by section 3321.04 of the Ohio Revised Code and section 3301-34 of the Ohio Administrative Code.
- Annually, the parent or guardian must notify the superintendent of the public school district of residence of his/her intent to home educate a child of compulsory school age. The annual notification must include specified informational items and assurances concerning the home education program, including a curriculum outline and a list of books or learning materials to be used for the year. Providing the appropriate information and assurances removes the responsibility of educating a child from the public school district of residence and places it with the parent/guardian.
- Some home-educating families find the information in Ohio's Academic Content Standards to be helpful for curriculum planning purposes.
- In addition to the information and assurances, an annual assessment is required before the superintendent accepts notification of the intent to home education during the next school year.
Download the Ohio Department of Education Home School Fact Sheet
Please print and complete the Notification Form and return it to Pam Gamble at the Educational Service Center
Choose one of the following:
- Mail - 1885 Lake Ave., Elyria, OH 44035
- Email - email@example.com
- Fax - 440-324-7355
- Bring to the Educational Service Center
Visit the ODE website at www.ode.state.oh.us and click "School Options" for more information.